BookaholicLife101

Bookaholic Life 101

Hi, my name is Marta. I'm 14 years old and I'm from Portugal. I love reading, it's almost as an obcession and dance is my passion. Follow me for some great book reviews.

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince - Cassandra Clare

Series: The Infernal Devices #2

Publication: December 2011

Goodreads: "In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart."

It's always a bit hard for me to get used to third person writing, but this time (maybe because I got used to it in the previous book) it was just delightful.

Will, Tessa and Jem

Tessa's character develops in thing book: becoming more sure of herself and her unique powers, as well as deepening her relationships with both boys in her life. Jem reveals an alluring side to him that hasn't been seen before, and finally the devastating secret in Will’s

tragic past is discovered. In this book you also get to see a new side of Will, a more free spirited and childish side that will make you laugh and smile.

- “Astriola. That IS demon pox. You had evidence that demon pox existed and you didnt mention it to me! Et tu, Brute!' He rolled up the paper and hit Jem over the head with it.”

This is one of the most well-written love triangles: with a strong girl torn between two attractive boys; there are given good reasons for Tessa to love them both, but at the same time reasons for her not to give her heart to either of them. While reading it is amazing to feel Tessa’s pull towards both Jem and Will, whom she has romantic and wildly sensual moments with.

Jem’s illness, Will’s love for and dependence upon him, and her own need for self-respect all contribute to the difficult situation, not forgetting the friendships she does not want to ruin.

I feel that these books are very character driven, which, for me, is a very positive aspect and makes me loved them even more.

Something I love in this series is the appreciation for literature and the references to all the amazing classics such as "A Tale of two cities", "Wuthering Heights", etc.

It's a book full of amazing action scenes, a smart use of magic, and the hilarious dialogue between these characters, that just brightens up my day. However, I also consider it an intense emotional read for those invested in these amazing characters. I cried several times near the heartbreaking end and btw TEAM WILL ALL THE WAY!!

The book was definitely satisfying, agonizing and painful in the most exquisite and emotionally way.

Just picked up Clockwork Princess and gonna star reading it NOW, you should absolutely do the same!